15 May 2013

A kiss a day

In my family, hugs and kisses or even a simple 'I love you' are extremely rare occurrences, to the point of almost non existent. I can literally count with my fingers on the times where such display of affection was ever exchanged. It was just the way we were brought up, a lingering product of a cultural hangover from the older Chinese generations.  Admittedly, it has always left me wanting more, some form of deep unfulfilled desire for affection and intimacy. Compensating this and truly understanding the power of love, I hug and kiss my friends, my sister, niece and even students as much as I can. I am working on telling my old man that I love him every day too but Rome was not built in a day. It remains a fiercely dedicated work in progress however. 

Perhaps being on the giving end rather than the receiving end more often had me momentarily forgotten the wonderful feeling of a simple hug or kiss. Yesterday morning, my housemate had to wake me to attend to a matter in the house as she was in a hurry to get to work. She knew I have been working very hard where my days have turned into nights and nights into days. I was slurring and instead of asking her for the time, I asked what day it was as I had really lost track. She answered Monday then kissed my cheek before letting me stumble back to slumber land. Although I fell back into sleep again almost immediately, my heart was warm and I was smiling. That wonderful feeling lasted the day. What a way to kill the Monday blues. Just thought I'd share :)

No comments:

Post a Comment