25 January 2009

I am de-cluttering you


Living in modern times like this, you would know that de-cluttering is an essential urban living practice. Face it, while all the females (and some males) out there dream of having their custom made shoe cupboard or walk-in wardrobe space, our tiny apartments simply are not built to contain our clutters.

De-cluttering simply means throwing out stuff that you have no use for anymore. You might argue that at some point in later life, you are gonna need the soap bars you made at a holiday workshop when you were 10 or the first tutu you ever wore at your dance recital. Trust me, honey. You DON'T. Besides, de-cluttering is miraculously therapeutic. You are gonna be so happy with the amount of space that resurfaced after all the de-cluttering that you'll spin yourself giddy in the middle of the room.


I know it is painful to part with items of sentimental value. But the trick is, be ruthless and do it fast, like ripping off a wax strip from your leg. That's the age old saying. No pain, no gain (no pun intended). So far, I have talked about de-cluttering on the premise of throwing out old stuff. But, what about 'friends'? What about people with flesh and blood and soul and feelings that you might hurt?

It is a known fact that we humans are creatures of comfort and highly social beings. Without the companionship of others like ourselves, we wither away in loneliness and probably end up suffering from a variety of communication anxieties. But, what about toxic friends, frenemies, people who claim to be your friend but make you feel like you are the biggest loser that walk the earth?

Everyone one needs friends. Good friends make the days seem brighter and hardships in life a tad more sufferable. Good friends make you feel good about yourself and bring out qualities in you that you didn't know you have. Good friends are there for you through thick and thin, who wholly accept and love you for who you are. But, what about so called friends who make you pretend to be someone you are not, who bring out ugly sides of you, who make you want to scream inside, who make you doubt yourself, who make you feel like you are not worthy of living?

Seeing this is the new year and how certain people's friendship to me is more detrimental than constructive, I am now de-cluttering some people from my life. If that someone who inspired me to blog this is reading, please stop imposing your ideals and lifestyle on me. I am sick of you and your narcissistic streaks and imposing manners. Please bring it elsewhere, Mr. I-Love-Myself-Too-Much. I am sorry that not everyone sees life the way you do and it certainly doesn't work when you try too hard to impose it on people. I am sorry you got the axe. Actually, on second thoughts, I am not. Cheers to friendship!

Did I just seem bitchy? Oh, whatever.

1 comment:

  1. oh you changed your layout again! haha, what a spot-on post. I have TOO MANY things to de-clutter!! maybe need to do another sale soon!

    ReplyDelete