18 August 2008

Terrors of The Night



It was the 25th July 2008, somewhere around 1600-1900 hrs. I was napping at the apartment after a long day of rehearsals for the finale of So You Think You Can Dance and I experienced it - Sleep Paralysis.

It was dark in the room as the curtains were drawn. I had a restless sleep and was still exhausted after the nap. I woke and to my horror, I realized I was paralyzed all over. I mustered every ounce of strength in my body to utter a word, to wiggle a pinky but was vain in attempt. I saw my roommate sleeping next to me and I attempted to call out to her. I was screaming for her attention, yet not a sound came out (I later asked if she heard me mumble in my sleep or noticed something unusual and she said no)

Amidst the confusion and petrified with cold fear, I realized I was having an episode of sleep paralysis. I vaguely remembered mum describing her experience to me many years ago and I have heard of the Chinese term '鬼壓身/鬼压身" (pinyin: guǐ yā shēn) or "鬼壓床/鬼压床" (pinyin: guǐ yā chuáng), which literally translate into "body pressured by a ghost" or "bed pressured by a ghost." However, my brain also triggered the memory of having read somewhere that it had something to do with bad sleep posture where your airway is constricted and your body starts to 'shut down' with the lack of oxygen pumping into your blood.

Despite knowing what it really was and being able to attach a scientific explanation to it, the fear persisted. Panic enveloped me and the darkness engulfed all of me. I felt I was strapped down by invisible bounds and that my vocal chord was cut off. Seconds or minutes later, though it felt like eternity, I finally broke free of it, relieved but still drowsy with sleep. So, I turned to the other side and went back to sleep, only to have it happen all over again, twice. I had experienced sleep paralysis 3 times in one nap.

When it happened, I sensed a presence in the room. I did not see, hear or smell it, but I felt a malevolent being. I checked out of the apartment after my elimination on the show and only returned 6 weeks later to prepare for the grand finale. And in that 6 weeks, my remaining housemates have reported on several occasion of supernatural encounters. My housemates CC, Sarah and Zef had claimed to experience unexplainable stuff that they do not talk about anymore. From what I was told, the occurrences got really rampant to the extent that 8TV was alerted of it and at some point, none of the girls were brave enough to be in the apartment alone and they started sleeping together in the same room.

And in the crystal clear state of mind I was in, this piece of information was not particularly helpful in calming myself. I silently prayed and asked 'it' to not harm me and that I acknowledge and respect 'it' making its presence known and I promised 'it'll have its peace back soon.

As sudden as it happened, the fear lifted and instead of sensing the malevolent being, I sensed my mum (My mum had returned to God's hands 6 years back). Again, I did not see, hear or smell her. I sensed her. You know the feeling when you are asleep and your mum quietly comes in and puts down a glass of water on your bedside table or pulls up your blanket? That's how it felt.

Then I woke up and everything seemed normal, only that I could barely explained what just happened. It was until weeks later that I researched on it and realized it was called Sleep Paralysis. Apparently, it is a very common occurrence that people all around the world have reported of and is scientifically explainable. However, in many cultures, it is tied to supernatural, psychological and religious angles.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis)
(http://www.castleofspirits.com/sleepparalysis.html).


Personally, I actually believe in the latter. I believe there are other beings coexisting with us (I mean surely we humans cant be so full of ourselves to believe we are the masters and only existence in the universe), on a different plane or parallel worlds. But sometimes, the universe screws up and parallels intersect. I believe 'they' mean no harm and and is merely trying to make its presence known. Actually, I don't know what to think anymore yet somehow I feel there's a forced explanation in the scientific department for it. So, do share with me if you have experienced sleep paralysis or just to share your thoughts on it.

All I know is, I really wouldn't want to experience it ever again.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I had a similar experience over a decade ago. I never knew of sleep paralysis before then. I was on my back and very tired, about to fall into sleep when a chilling scream arose from inside of me. I could not move & felt a buzzing. I began to panic & my heart rate increased. A feminine voice began to console me & tell me to relax. I had no other choice, so i did. I felt like I was being scanned somehow. There was no crushing on my chest like some sleep paralysis encounters explain. Slowly the intensity of the buzzing & vibrating feeling began to die down. When it was gone I was free & I rolled off the bed because my muscles were still tense from trying to get free. I could say, chalk it up to sleep paralysis, but I told my friend about it (the very first person I told)and she explained to me that my sister told her the same experience had happened to her a few nights before. Note:I was napping in my sisters bed!!

    This experience has never happened to eiather of us before or since. I have never personally met anyone whom this has happened to. I explored the possibility of abduction by an ET or Spirit, and I really do feel it was supernatural. I have had times when I was sleeping & couldn't move or wake myself up. This was not that. This was a visit of some sort because some other conscious, intelligent, life was there with me. A presence. I believe it screamed to wake me up, or sometimes I wonder if it was my own soul screaming because it was invaded. Really it wasn't me tho. Because of the scream I thought it was trying to attack me, but once I calmed down I was feeling like whatever was happening was not malicious. If it "fed" on me I did not feel drained. I was a bit scared, but more excited, like wow, what the bleep was that? But still in awe that something like that happened to me & I got to experience it.

    I am always wondering if it will ever happen again. I purposely try to sleep on my back. I am open minded & I have a lot of faith & connection to my source, so I am not scared, but much more curious.

    My e-mail is sentientsoul333@yahoo.com
    and you can find me on MySpace too.

    It was wonderful that you documented your experience. i don't feel so alone now. I have been obsessed with trying to find out what it was since it happened. I have explored so many areas & still I don't know. It had no message for me. If we can connect to other realms, I would like to try. I don't think anything can hurt you if you keep your light burning bright.

    Alex Grey used to have night terrors alot as a youth. He is an amazing visionary artist in NY. I met him once at COSM (Chapel of the Sacred Mirrors) You can look him up online.

    Ps. I also love to dance but never really took lessons. Keep Dancing & Shining,
    Sunny

    ReplyDelete